You were excited to board your United flight. Suddenly, a situation arises where you must change your booking. In such a case, you must know the United Airlines flight change policy and related details. By doing so, you can take the next steps accordingly.
To help you, here are some guidelines about changing your booking with United Airlines. These are customer-friendly and flexible. So that you have a great experience and don’t lose your ticket value. Sounds good! Now, let’s go through the account that follows and learn more about United flight change service.
Can I Change a Flight with United Airlines?
Yes, you can change a flight when traveling with United Airlines, thanks to its flight change policy. However, make sure to know about the flight change, if applicable. Moreover, you can also make same-day flight changes if applicable. In other case, you can go on a standby to get seats on the next flight available.
What is the United Airlines Flight Change Policy?
When you are traveling on a United Airlines flight and have to change your booking, know its change flight policy. It helps you avoid any hassle and streamlines the process. So, here are the United Airlines flight change policy highlights –
- United doesn’t charge you for changing most of the flights that include award travel.
- Your ticket type and destination decide if you have to pay to change your flight.
- There are no charges to change economy, Economy Plus, first, business and United Premium Plus fares.
- However, if your new flight is more expensive than the original one, pay the fare difference. For a cheaper new flight, United refunds you a flight credit or to your original payment mode, as per your ticket type.
- Domestic flights and international trips that originate in the U.S. are exempted from flight change fees.
United Airlines 24-hour Flight Change Policy
The United Airlines 24-hour change flight policy, also called the 24-hour booking policy allows you a free booking change within 24 hours of making it. However, remember to –
- Change your flight within 24 hours of booking
- Book your tickets at least a week before your flight’s schedule departure
Please note: Have you purchased a Basic Economy ticket or made a booking with a combination of money and Miles? In such a case, United Airlines doesn’t allow you to change your flight but makes your change or cancellation refundable.
United Flight Change Policy For Basic Economy Fares
If you are wondering, can I change a basic economy flight ticket booking on United Airlines, the answer is no. Moreover, Basic economy tickets are nonrefundable.
However, if you upgrade to Economy or a premium cabin, changes are allowed.
Please note: You can change International United Airlines flights that don’t originate in the U.S. but a change flight fee still applies.
How to Change a United Flight Booking?
United has different methods to change your booking and makes things easier and convenient for you. So, if you have to change your United Airlines booking, follow the steps mentioned below –
Online Method to Change a United Flight
You can change your flight on united.com or the United app in four steps:
- Visit the official website of United Airlines.
- Alternatively, you can install the United app on your smartphone.
- Go to the section of My Trips.
- Select the Change flight option.
- Choose the Edit option to update your flight
- Select a new flight.
Offline Method to Change a United Flight
If you can’t change your flight online, go with offline methods to change your booking.
Via Phone Call
- Simply dial the United Airlines change flight phone number, 1-800-864-8331.
- Listen to and follow the IVR instructions.
- Once a live representative gets connected, convey your flight change request.
- Share the travel details required.
Alternatively, you can visit an airport kiosk or talk to an agent to change your booking.
Please note: The new flight that you are booking must:
- Be United or United Express® operated
- Have the same departure and arrival airports
- Depart within 24 hours before or after your original flight
Changing Tickets Booked with Miles
For award tickets purchased with United MileagePlus miles, you can change your booking –
- Online or
- By calling a customer service representative of United Airlines
Please note: The official website of United or its mobile app don’t allow changing some bookings. These include reservations made through another airline. For changes, contact the airline directly through which you have purchased tickets.
Can I Make Same Day Changes on United Airlines Flights?
Yes, you can make a same-day change on a flight with United Airlines easily. Let’s look into it according to the membership types of the airlines.
Premier Membership Holders
Premier members can get another flight for free. If no seats are available in the original cabin class, pay a fare difference.
All other passengers can get another flight within 24 hours of their originally scheduled flight. You might have to pay the difference in ticket price, even if the same cabin is available.
Does United Airlines Allow You to Go Standby?
Yes, when you want to make a United Airlines flight change, the airline lets you go standby. This happens if the confirmed flight change on the same day is not available. With the standby policy of the airline, you get more freedom and flexibility while traveling.
So, join the standby list for free to get a same day earlier flight like your original flight.
What is the United Airlines Change Flight Fees?
When flying with United Airlines, you don’t have to pay change flight fees on most of the ticket types. Moreover, if you have your booking in an Economy, Economy Plus® or a premium cabin, United Airlines waive your fee for –
- Flights between the U.S. and the Caribbean
- Flights between the U.S. and Mexico
- Domestic flights within the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands
- International flights originating in the U.S.
Now, go through the table below for a better idea of flight change charges of United Airlines –
|Ticket Types||Fee Charged|
|Basic Economy||Change not allowed|
Therefore, if you have to go for a United Airlines flight change, choose a different flight. On most fare types, United doesn’t charge a flight change fee. Moreover, the airline lets you change your booking as many times as you want. You don’t have to pay for even multiple flight changes! However, pay the fare difference between the new and original flights, if required.
So if you have to change your United Airline booking, go ahead. But keep the guidelines in mind and you will have a smooth experience.