Winters Are Here, And So Are Flight Cancelations Or Delays!
Flight cancellation due to bad weather conditions is very normal. These disruptions leave many passengers stranded, thinking what they can do now. s your flight cancelled or delayed due to bad weather? Yes! Worry not because there are certain ways to get back on track.
Many flights get canceled due to bad weather, but you must know that you are not eligible for a refund if your flight is canceled due to bad weather. Inclement weather conditions come under “Extraordinary Circumstances,” and you are not eligible for a refund in case of cancellation or delay due to the bad weather. Read on to learn more!
What are extraordinary circumstances?
Circumstances for which you can blame airlines are called extraordinary circumstances. Sometimes, airlines have to cancel their flights because of reasons beyond their control. Moreover, they can’t do anything to prevent the effect of that situation on their flight schedule. Apart from the bad weather conditions, there are other circumstances that are considered extraordinary. In case of flight cancellations or delays due to these circumstances, airlines can’t be held responsible. Since the delay or cancellation was a result of that extraordinary circumstance, you are not eligible for compensation.
What are the most common weather-related problems when flying?
Bad weather conditions can completely ruin your plan. Following are some of the reasons that can cause your flight to be canceled or delayed.
- Strong winds
- Fog: low visibility
- Aircraft struck by lightning
- Intense rainfall
- Gusts of wind
- De-icing problem on take-off or landing runways
- Other natural disasters
Try to be aware in advance, and avoid making flight bookings in winter. It will help you avoid flight cancelation or delay. Moreover, for any flight cancelled or delayed, contact the concerned department of the airline.
Can I claim a refund upon the flight cancelation?
According to federal law, you are not eligible for a refund if your flight is canceled or delayed due to inclement weather conditions. Federal law gives a set of circumstances to airlines for which they need to refund the airline. And flight cancelation or delays because of bad weather don’t come under that situation. Weather conditions come under “extraordinary circumstances,” and the airline will not offer any refund for it. However, if the airline cancels or overbooks your flight, you can easily claim your refund. Moreover, sometimes you can get extra compensation.
If we leave aside the topic of compensation, the airline is obliged to offer a suitable replacement for your canceled or delayed flight. It will try to rebook you on the next available flight.
What are my rights if my flight is affected by bad weather conditions?
Are you feeling stranded because of the “flight cancelled or delayed” situation? Fret not because you have some rights. Regardless of the refund eligibility, you will get care and assistance from the airline. If the airline cancels or delays your flight, you have the following rights.
- Make sure to get in touch with the airline agents immediately. Sometimes, airlines give some coupons or vouchers as compensation.
- If you are at the airport, use the complimentary food and drinks.
- The airline will give you hotel accommodations if you are stranded at the airport.
- Moreover, it will transport you to the hotel.
What to do if your flight is delayed or canceled?
If your flight is canceled or delayed, you need to be aware. Stay calm and know your options. The airline will not offer any refund for flight delays or cancelation due to severe weather conditions. However, you may get a refund for any flight cancelled or delayed in some specific cases.
Talk to the travel agent
Go to the airline agent at the airport, and know about your options. Ask him if you can confirm your booking on the next available flight. If your chosen airline doesn’t have a seat for you, the agent may book you on another air carrier’s flight.
Ask about the compensation
If it has been several hours at the airport, you can ask for a refund from the airline agent. However, you may not get compensation, but you can receive some vouchers or coupons after negotiation. Additionally, some airlines also offer refreshments and overnight accommodations.
Important points to note
If you are planning to travel in bad weather, then you must know that there are high chances of flight cancellation and delay. However, you must stay calm even if your flight is delayed or canceled. There are certain important points that you should keep in mind.
- As mentioned, bad weather comes under extraordinary circumstances, and you can’t claim a refund for the flight cancellation or delay.
- The decision to cancel your flight totally depends on the airline, and they make this decision by keeping passengers’ safety in mind.
- You have certain rights if your flight is canceled or delayed, such as rebooking, meals, accommodations, vouchers, etc.
- If you have travel insurance, use that in this situation.
- Check out your airline’s policy due to bad weather, and know your rights.
- Make sure to stay in touch with your airline if your flight is canceled or delayed due to bad weather.
- If your flight is delayed because of the airline, then you are eligible for a refund.
- Moreover, you must follow the instructions given by the staff at the airport to stay safe in that situation.
You should know your rights if your flight is canceled or delayed due to inclement weather conditions. Read the information mentioned above and get the extra amenities if eligible.